Frequently asked questions

What do I need to do when I arrive in Australia?

Come to our office and we will help you to open your bank account, apply for your TFN, ABN, USI Number, help you to check for accommodation, inform you about your OSHC (Overseas Student Health Cover), help you to get an Australian phone number and advise you on  Jobs in Australia.


Which types of jobs are the easiest to get?

Most popular jobs for international students that just arrived in Australia are cleaning jobs, construction, restaurants/cafe and nanny, part time office jobs. The level of English will weight a lot on the types of job that students can get.


What is the average weekly earnings of a student in Australia?

The average weekly earnings is $350 to $600 per week, considering 20 hours per week. The minimum hourly payment is $17.70 before taxes.


How many hours International students can work?

International Students are allowed to work for up to 40 hours per fortnight. During school holidays, students can work full time.


What are the minimum requirements to get a job in Australia?

Initially international students will need to hold a Tax File Number (TFN) or Australian Business Number (ABN – for students providing services independently) and depending on the job, specific certifications such as Responsible service of Alcohol RSA, Responsible service for Gambling RCG, White/Blue Card (construction related jobs), Working with Children, Police check among others. The certifications are mostly obtained after the corresponding course is taken.


What is TFN? (Tax File Number)

TFN is a number issued by the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) to each taxpaying. This number is used by an employer when making payments to an employee for taxing purposes.


What is ABN? (Australian Business Number)

ABN is a unique 11 digit number that identifies a business.

Not everyone needs an ABN and not everyone is entitled to one, but if you’re starting up or running a business or providing services you might need to register for one.


How does Bank Accounts work for International students in Australia?

International Students do not pay any fee to open and maintain a Bank Account in Australia, however it’s necessary to show to the Bank that you hold a Student visa and your COE (Confirmation of Enrolment) from your school.


How do I get an Australian Phone number?

Australia has several companies where you can get not only a phone number, but also a plan, including or not a new mobile phone!

The most popular companies are:


How to look for accommodation in Australia?

If you are interested in sharing a house with other students from different nationalities and culture, you can check shared house accommodation websites as www.gumtree.com.au, flatmates.com.au, au.easyroommate.com, and look for groups on Facebook as well. Students can also rent a studio or apartment by themselves contacting directly Real Estate agents such as www.domain.com.au, www.realestate.com.au. Always visit the place before moving in and never pay in advance!


How to choose where to leave considering cost x location x transport?

Further neighbourhoods tend to be cheaper options, however the cost for transportation may be slightly higher, so it’s important to consider that and make accounts to find out what would be the cheapest, considering where to live and where to study and work.


Do international students have discount on transport fares?

This may vary from state to state, depending on where and what you will be studying. Costs starts from $3.00 per fare. Transport options includes: Bus, Train, Tram and Ferry.


Can I drive in Australia with my driver’s licence from my country?

In Australia, laws and driving regulations may differ from state to state. Some states require you to carry an International or translated Licence with your current foreign licence. In most Australian states and territories (the exception is the Northern Territory), you are able to drive on an overseas licence as long as it is current. Please note that you can only drive vehicles which your overseas licence authorises you to drive and you must drive according to any conditions on your overseas licence.


What is covered by my Overseas Student Health Cover – OSHC?

Basically consultations with a General Practitioner – GP – Students registered with an OSHC provider will be mostly on a free entail basis and in some cases, Students would pay a small fee. For emergencies, most of the cases are also covered on the spot. Anything that it’s not covered directly by your provider, can be partially refunded back to the Student. For pregnancy, usually any provider will request at least 12 months of waiting period to be able to cover related expenses. OSHC does not often cover Dental or Optometrist, butthis can be added as an “extra”.


Where can I find a Doctor or a Hospital?

The providers are NIB, BUPA, Medibank and AHM.

On their website it’s possible to check all the medical centres and hospitals covered by your OSHC provider.

What are the most popular entertainment options in Australia?

Australia is a beautiful, multicultural country! During warmer seasons, enjoy the outsides, coastal walks, beaches, national parks, BBQs, road trips! Planning can really help to save money especially during summer season. Book cars, flights and accommodation in advance to save! Organizing groups with common interests is also great as expenses can be shared. Beware of animal encounters! Spiders, snakes are usually friendly if not bothered, but keep an eye on those ones! On the beach, shark alarms mean “get out of the water”!

In some of the public areas such as parks and even on some beaches, drinking is forbidden and fines are applicable, so beware of the signs. Sunscreen is a must! 

If you wish to meet people and practise your English indoors, meet ups at Pubs can be a good option as well. There are usually “happy hour” times where drinks and food are cheaper!


Where can I buy food/clothes/hygiene products for cheap prices?

Australia is a very multicultural country, it’s possible to find International foods in big supermarkets and also small stores in the suburbs.

Supermarkets usually offers a huge range of home brand products with lower cost. That’s a great way to save!




Contact Us >>

(02)9283 6161 Sydney

(02)9977 0499 Manly

(08)9221 8022 Perth

(03)9600 0646 Melbourne

(07)3003 1134 Brisbane

(08)8232 4777 Adelaide

(07)5661 2751 Gold Coast
Talk to an education expert

© 2023 Information Planet