Backpackers and Hostels
When should I use hostel/ backpacker accommodation?
Hostels and backpackers are great and convenient if you are staying for a short time in Australia.
You can stay at hostels for one day or even a week. Mostly it is used when travelling around Australia or as a temporary stay while looking for a permanent home.
How much are they?
The prices of hostels are about $25 AUD per day. The price will vary depending on how many people you are sharing the room with (usually 2 to 8 people) and how long you are going to stay for.
What are the benefits?
- There is a wide network of hostels in Australia and worldwide
- It is extremely flexible and not so essential to book this accommodation in advance (exceptions for high seasons such as Christmas and New Years Eve)
- You can use often a membership card which gives you access to membership rates for accommodation as well as other price reductions
- Many social events happen at the hostel or venues next to it
- Great way to see the city and meet new people from around the world
- Hostels are often located comfortably in the city centre
- There is the possibility of staying just for one day
What are the cons?
- It is not the ideal accommodation if you are thinking of staying for a long time
- Lack of privacy – you will probably share your room with 2 to 8 strangers
- Not much storage space (there are usually no shelves, wardrobes, etc.)
- In high season the hostels can be fully booked