Sydney is the largest and most populous city in Australia and the state capital of New South Wales. Sydney is located on Australia's south-east coast of the Tasman Sea. Inhabitants of Sydney are called Sydneysiders, comprising a cosmopolitan and international population of people from numerous places around the world.
The city is built on hills surrounding Port Jackson which is commonly known as Sydney Harbour, where the iconic Sydney Opera House and the Harbour Bridge feature prominently. The hinterland of the metropolitan area is surrounded by national parks, and the coastal regions feature many bays, rivers, inlets and beaches including the famous Bondi Beach.
What to do and see: visit the official website.
Be prepared, what is important to know about Sydney:
- Sydney Currency: AUD
- Sydney Telephone area code: +61 02
- Sydney Electricity (plug): Electricity in Australia is 220-240 volts AC. Check out the type of plug.
- Sydney Annual events: Vivid Sydney (May), New Year Eve Firework (Dec) and more.
- Sydney Public holidays: check out on Government website.
- Sydney Weather average:
Summer (Dec - Feb): 18ºC - 25ºC
Autumn (Mar - May): 14ºC - 22ºC
Winter (Jun - Aug): 9ºC - 17ºC
Spring (Sep - Nov): 13ºC - 22ºC
Find information about transports in Sydney on government websites:
- Getting around Sydney: buses, train and ferries.
- The public transport payment system in Sydney is the Opal Card system. Check information on Official Website.
- Taxis can be hailed from the street and you can also use UBER services that have been increasing their participation around the world. You can download the app on your smartphone.
- Living expenses
© 2015 Information Planet