Cairns considered the gateway to Australia's Great Barrier Reef, is a city in tropical North Queensland. Cairns is a stylish city, which is also renowned for its relaxed, tropical climate and laid back ambience.Once a sleepy sugar-milling town, it's now a destination for sailing, diving and snorkelling.
Cairns depends on tourism for survival. For many, it marks the end of a long journey up the east coast; for others, the beginning of an Aussie adventure. Whichever way you're swinging, you're bound to meet like-minded nomads.
What to do and see: visit the official tourism website.
Be prepared, what is important to know about Cairns:
- Cairns Currency: AUD
- Cairns Telephone area code: +61 07
- Cairns Electricity (plug): Electricity in Australia is 220-240 volts AC. Check out the type of plug.
- Cairns Annual events: Cairns Show (Jun), Cairns Festival (Aug), Cairns Amateurs Carnival (Sep) and more.
- Cairns Public holidays: check out on Government website.
- Cairns Weather average:
Summer (Dec - Feb): 23ºC - 31ºC
Autumn (Mar - May): 19ºC - 30ºC
Winter (Jun - Aug): 17ºC - 26ºC
Spring (Sep - Nov): 18ºC - 30ºC
Find information about transports in Cairns on government websites:
- Getting around Cairns: buses and rail.
- Taxis can be hailed from the street.
© 2015 Information Planet