Adelaide is the fifth-most populous city in Australia and the capital city of the state of South Australia. Adelaide is the original land of the Indigenous Kaurna people and was established in 1836 as a British colony. The city is home to over one million people of all cultures, ethnicities and walks of life. It is a bustling multicultural city with cultural events on show.
With beautiful hills, white sandy beaches and enticing wine districts, Adelaide has the best of everything. Adelaide is regarded as wine and the food capital of Australia and has more restaurants per head than any other major Australian city. Adelaide is home to three of Australia’s best universities, three prestigious international institutions, three TAFE institutes offering 300 vocational courses across 51 campuses and over 600 private training organisations. What a choice! Study, work and play.
What to do and see: visit the official tourism website.
Be prepared, what is important to know about Adelaide:
- Adelaide Currency: AUD
- Adelaide Telephone area code: +61 08
- Adelaide Electricity (plug): Electricity in Australia is 220-240 volts AC. Check out the type of plug.
- Adelaide Annual events: Adelaide Festival, Adelaide Fringe and more.
- Adelaide Public holidays: check out on Government website.
- Adelaide Weather average:
Summer (Dec - Feb): 15ºC - 29ºC
Autumn (Mar - May): 10ºC - 26ºC
Winter (Jun - Aug): 7ºC - 16ºC
Spring (Sep - Nov): 11ºC - 25ºC
Find information about transports in Adelaide on government websites:
- Getting around Adelaide: buses and train.
- Taxis can be hailed from the street and you can also use UBER services that have been increasing their participation around the world. You can download the app on your smartphone.
- Living expenses
Top schools in Adelaide
© 2015 Information Planet