Dependant visa to Australia
Who can apply for Dependent visa?
Generally, you can apply for dependent visa:
- if you are partner / member of family unit of a holder of some type of temporary visa in Australia (for example, student visa),
- if your partner is an Australian resident (permanent residency).
Who are 'members of family unit' of a student?
Eligible to apply for this visa to join a holder of student visa is:
- a spouse (including de facto spouse) of the student visa holder, or
- a dependent child (unmarried, and younger than 18 years) of the student visa holder.
If you are not married with your partner, but you would like to apply for spouse dependent visa, you have to submit an evidence that you have lived together for a period of at least 12 months prior to lodging visa application.
Married couples can apply after submission of marriage certificate.
What does the visa let me do?
If are granted visa as a partner (spouse) of a student visa holder, you are allowed:
- to study in Australia up to 3 months,
- to work during your stay in Australia (up to 20 hours/week).
What are the benefits of having a dependent visa?
If you get a dependent visa, you will get a limited permission to work (20 hours/week), and you do not need to enrol in any course / school in Australia. Your partner, a student visa holder, will be allowed to work as well, see conditions of student visa.
How to apply for this type of visa?
You can be nominated by your partner in his/her application for student visa, or he/she can nominate you while already studying in Australia, see more here.
Copyright © 2013 Information Planet - Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Head Office: Information Planet - City - Level 5, 285 Clarence St, CBD, Sydney NSW 2000, Australia +61 2 9283 6161